Monday, February 27, 2017

Mariner's RP February 18th - India, Nick and Brian

India Tor walks in the Mariners and peers through the crowd, spots Nick and, for a moment looks like she wants to back away quickly. Instead she takes a deep breath and approaches, sitting beside him and ordering a simple tea. Looking at him out of the corner of her eye like a friend who has lately acted foolish.

Nick Callahan is sipping on a beer and gives India a sideways frothy grin before saying "Mama Tor." His eyes twinkle as they always do "Everything all right with the little angel?"

Brian.Stewart walks in, exhaling softly, as he plunks down and then looks at the menu. He nods at the other two patrons "I'll have your chicken dinner with extra mash potato and what ever beer ya have on tap that's heavy enough to get a oxen pissed." He says a bit frustratingly.

India Tor turns a little darker, blushing. "She's happy .. for now." she replies. "It's Daddy's first solo tour with him. So we'll see..." she pauses and seems about to say something. She sees another enter but doesn't know him. But his order seems short to her, so she turns back to Nick. "Um ... how are you? OK?" She seems quite hesitant to speak to him.

Nick Callahan seems confused by India's hesitation but hears the red bearded man say strong enough to get an oxen pissed and has to chuckle and give the guy a nod before looking at India again and giving her shoulder a little rub "I'm fine. I need to get over and see that baby of yours when you're not trying to take a little break. Something on your mind India?" He takes another sip of his dark ale.

Brian.Stewart  just exhales as he gets his beer and looks like he is half relieved to get the brew. He looks at the other patrons,  nodding, after he has killed about half of his drink "That's betta." He says with his thick Scotsman's accent. Exhaling, as he washes down the days troubles, he turns to the stranger  "You got a new wee one , right?" he says, exhaling sharply like he is trying to calm himself "'Well congratulations." 'He says in a forced polite tone, figuratively, biting his lips as not to sour the new festive occasion despite his own plight.

India Tor pauses a moment as he rubs her shoulder in such a friendly way. "Yes. Oh she's lovely. I ... well, if your not ... I mean ..." she stammers .. quite unlike herself. And hen she lets it out. "I seem to remember talking ... yelling at you while I was in labor and .. but .. well ... if you're not ... well .. mad at my .. well..it WAS a bribe. If your not too mad .. could you .. I mean would you ...." she sighs and smiles, a bit awkwardly. "We want you to be the baby's god-grandfather." se pauses. "Please?" she blinks and looks at the redhead. "Yes. I do. Jayla." she chuckles. "Please tell me it was town gossip and not a tabloid that told you?"

Nick Callahan Nick laughs heartily and gives India a one armed hug "We don't keep records of things ladies say in labour. You had a hard job. Until men can have babies the best thing we can do is shut up and take it right? " He laughs some more "I would be honoured to be her grand-godfather. Thank you for asking me."

Brian.Stewart  listens as he nurses the rest of his beer nodding empathetically at the new mothers plight.  Getting his mind off his own for the mom and chuckling all at the right moments.. "Nah I ain't privy to such golden nuggets .. since the I'm surround by menfolk all the live long."'He chuckles "I just hear ya say something about a daddy and going solo .. good thing he has you .. right." he nods "That's always good."'He rattles off as he takes another sip.

India Tor can't help but sigh in relief at the forgiveness and then giggle. "Good point. I said a few unkind things to Ryan, too but he forgave me, too. Thank you." she smiles. "You remind me of MY father ... so ... " she shrugs. She looks at the redhead. "I had her at home and my man was there for it .... for good or ill. I told myself I wolf be dignified and not be like a bad comedy sketch but .... " she giggles again. "I was ... like a bad comedy sketch." she confesses. "I even called the chief of police and said unkind things."

Nick Callahan grins and nods at the man "Well need a few women folk around to keep you humble then Mr......sorry I'm Nick. I don't think we've been introduced?" He listens to India and then looks genuinely touched that he reminds her of her father and reassures her "Nah you were a good comedy sketch. I think Angie might still be laughing at me as we sit here."

Brian.Stewart  waves it off 'like that other bloke said.. us menfolk .. got to be a bit compassion at what you womenfolk have to deal with .. cause .. me boys birth.. 'he shakes his 'well i wouldn't even wish that pain on me ex.. wife'he exhales..  but I'm sure all that was justified .. 'he nods 'you lasses have far off.. worst.. but then again.. puberty was a right . mess.. but that last for a bit .. but yeah .. 'he shakes his head.. 'i think both sexes have it hard at one point or another but yeah.. i thank whatever Celtic god or goddess that not .... he rattles off like he does when  he has had his chance  from taking break from .. like the flood gates were open .. he detours his conversation  at the new topic "Oh me name is Brian Stewart .. pleasure to meet ya .... 'he trails off as if to ask his and the woman's name  looking at them both in turn

India Tor is given her tea with a little lemon and squeezes the juice in followed by a little sugar spooned in and stirs it all. Then she sips it and seems to relax, but looks over her shoulder in the direction of her apartment and takes out her phone and sets it down on the bar. She looks at the man. "Oh, yes. I'm India. India Tor." and then she seems to turn even darker. "Oh! Angie was there? She heard?" she seems embarrassed all over again. "Why did she laugh at you?" she wonders and sips her tea again, her head turning and stopping, as if trying hard not to look over it. She looks at the man. "Yea .. that was some kind of pain. But they lie when they say you forget about it the moment you see your child. But ... yes it was worth it."


Nick Callahan gives just one nod at Brian and says his name back to him as a trick to try and remember it "Brian Stewart. Scotland originally if I dare ask?" He grins at India "Angie was laughing at me, not you. She's been through two births herself a long time ago and she thought my shock was funny. But somebody's gotta put me in my place now and then right?" He winks.

Brian.Stewart  nods 'yeah .. i agreed there .. though i did get me hand squeeze so hard its a wonder i can use it 'he joke . but yeah the minute i say me wee lad.. 'he exhales softly . his tenseness fading .. as he is remind . 'all me trouble.. just poof 'he say softly 'went away for that moment 'he say looking to the lady and beam at her ..'yeah it'll be trying but worth ever moment of it '  'aye.. thats me motherland .. Shetland to be exact.. 'eh laughs  and smiles all warmly at the mother.. 'taww that just sweet .. whats the princess. full given name 'he listens.

India Tor turns a touch darker. "Oh ... yes .. I was a ... little crazy ...." she admits. "Ryan could't get the phone away from me. But he did when I tried to call Adum." she chuckles herself. "Probably for the best on that right?" she looks at the man. "Oh she is Jayla Sakura Yamada-Tor. Hyphenated her last name. My father was Jay and his mother is Sakura." she pauses. "But APPARENTLY it is also the names of a Star Trek character." she narrows her eyes. "I didn't know that really until we'd named her." she sighs. "My fault for loving a geek, right?"

Nick Callahan looks intrigued "Ah the Shetlands, practically it's own culture within Scotland eh? Just like our Cedar Point within the lower mainland really." He shrugs at India "Well it's a pretty name. Can't say I've watched enough Star Trek to know all the names aside from the famous ones. Leave it to Ryan though." He snickers.

Brian.Stewart just raises a red eyebrow 'listening . aww that sweet  .. I'm betting me whole house she is sweeter then a cherry blossom 'he laughs 'well I'm one to talk.. name me boy after a Japanese fox legend .. cuz i like the story .. got a bit into Japanese culture when i worked there.. but don't ask me to speak it now if you want to keep your sanity 'laughs 'but that's sweet and geeky and that's all good too . if was up to me ex .. kit would been name after one of the rats worlds character'he chuckle 'but that's just sweet 'he nods to nick 'yeah basically but yeah .. ... bit think that's why i took to this land.. it felt like home then minute i step on the land 'he exhales .. 'even got an nice pub..  'he laughs .. 'need to bring me boy in here since he can drink .. now 'he laughs .. 'buy his first .. beer you know 'he laughs 'in a pub like it should be.

India Tor grins. "I haven't either. He tricked me, I think ... but I love him anyway." she giggles. "Oh Shetland, like the ponies?" she wonders. Then she laughs. "I was named after a country I never saw, but ... " she grins.


Brian.Stewart  nods 'yeah oddly me family raises them and the dogs.. got me good dog here and he seems to like it . '


Nick Callahan gives Brian a crooked smile "You sure it's his FIRST beer? Gotta keep count in the fridge when they cross that teen line. " He shrugs "India's a good name. I was named after my grandfather. Glad they didn't name me Ireland Callahan though.....bit much to say."

Brian.Stewart  laughs 'i was name after  me uncle that passed away before i was born.. the English side .. 'he laughs softly .. but yeah ..'i don't think its his first beer.. well drink.. but.. cause i think he drank.. on new years but I'm not sure.. 'he says pensive.. 'well its his first .. legal drink'he laughs 'i think.. 'he gets a bit frustrated exhaling softly and killing the rest of his  drink .. '

India Tor smiles. "Did you know that Michael's middle name is near the same? But he was named after St Nick. His mother told me." and so, obviously it was fair game to share with any warm blooded mammal. "Why parents name their kids is always such an interesting story to hear." she grins at the idea of illegal drinks versus legal drinks ad sips her tea.


Nick Callahan waves off Brian's worries "Ah we all did it. The sneaking a drink, and manage to lead productive lives as adults. He'll be alright. I was teasing you." He turns, listening to India "Reinhardt huh? His mother's a little sprite compared to him. It's almost adorable." He looks thoughtful "We named Eryn from a baby book of names but it was Irish so my parents approved." He smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes this time like he's putting it on a bit.

Brian.Stewart  raises and eyebrow trying to understand conversation as much as he could for a outsider and just orders another beer as his meal comes to him . his red eyebrow furrowing as he tries to keep up with them as he silently eat  nodding with a mouthful of potato in his gob. as he listen like a barfly but smirks and gulp  'yeah .. i stole me old mans Jamieson's all the time.. too drunk to notice though 'he winces looking down at his beer and sip it to wash down to down his dinner  and stuff more of the mountain of potatoes in his gob.. for a reason seem silent and he chews


India Tor giggles. "Yes. She's just so small! It's hard to imagine her as related. But he was surely smaller when he was born." she watches Nick's eyes but says nothing on it. "But I am glad she is here now." she glances over her shoulder and catches herself, quickly sipping from her tea and glancing at her phone.

Nick Callahan nods at Brian and then watches the man eat for a second before noticing India "Are you going to make it? Hard to let them go, even if it's for your mental health. He hasn't called though so she's OK. Ryan's an old pro India. They all raised Tristan before Michael stepped in to be a Dad. He's been trained..." He laughs "You're making me hungry Brian. I'm meeting Tallulah for a very late dinner though so I best not spoil it. She's as a silent meditation retreat thing. I shoulda gone for this one. the last one I agreed to was chanting....it was horrible. I felt like one of those Gregorians....but so off key I thought they were gonna kick me out. "

Brian.Stewart  bites on the chicken leg savagely like some medieval guy and chews it a bit, swallowing it down as he smiles at the other patrons after awhile of eating trying not ruin their happy night as he eats the food and drink doing their work to satisfied him and pacify him for the moment as he watched them and then gulps it down as he is spoken to 'aye.. sorry mate.. just getting off work and so hungry i could eat a Shetland pony 'he jokes 'but sorry  bout .. food pretty tasty here 'he laughs 'taste like home'he say in bittersweet tone but smiles '

India Tor sighs a little, thoroughly busted. "I didn't think it would be this hard." she admits. "I made a couple of bottles. She'll take it .. but isn't happy about it. But Ryan said I should and that it was good for Jalya." she drinks from her tea again. "But it's hard. I'm trying not to feel unneeded. It's not like I do EVERYTHING and thank goodness for Ryan." she grins. "Michael a father. I know he has experience too but he just doesn't look the part ... but who looks the part?"
[17:00]  Nick Callahan laughs "Don't eat the ponies. The tourists will have nightmares. " He gives India a sympathetically at India "You'll figure it all out. Can't tell what's in a person's heart from their outsides ever. Just life right."

Brian.Stewart  laugh after swallow his second bite of chicken as he pull out his phone awkward typing on the small screen .. his brow furrowed before finally after awhile smile as he attempt to send a message.. 'he laugh softly and look up'can i get a plate to go.. not right now but when i finish my plate.. 'eh saw softly to the tender an look over 'nobody .. 'he chuckles 'no one is really prepared but that's the magic of it all 'he laughs 'were all clueless in the start... some still clueless in the middle.. but all you got to do is try .. 'he say softly  'he laughs 'nah they're too gamey.. i eat one on dare back in secondary school  'he laughs 'what one does as a dumb lad.. looking for a lager and some laughs and a coulpa pounds'he laughs

India Tor giggles. "I will. I know but ....." she looks at her phone. "I don't want to be gone TOO long. Yanno. Just in case ... well .. Ryan spoils her beyond all redemption." she laughs.

Nick Callahan head juts and starts at Brian "You ate a whole pony? It's not like a Cornish game hen man...." He laughs but there's a tinge of horror and disbelief before he grins at India "Oh I'm sure he already has Mama Tor. Daughters have that effect."

 Brian.Stewart  laughs 'of course.. not .. just like a steak.. 'he laughs ..'wouldn't do that again for the world he say as he focus on the man that is speaking to him then give the woman .nod..'i like a daughter.. but that pony left the stable awhile ago 'he laughs  and just finishes his supper nodding to the new mom smiling at her endeared to the whole situation of her new baby and family

 India Tor giggles and nods at them both. "Male appetite." she ignores how she ate while she was pregnant. And then she nods. "Yes." she looks mock sad. "Jayla is going to lose her pinky fingers, she has her father so tightly wrapped around hers." she giggles. "But ... father's right to spoil their daughter. My father did .. ALL fathers do I guess." she pats at Nick's elbow. "You can have the pinky finger on her other hand." she winks. Jayla can't replace Eryn but maybe take a little sting out of it.

Nick Callahan laughs at Brian "You're an interesting fellow....." He laughs again because how can you not. The whole conversation of fathers and daughters is both sweet and bittersweet. Nick had loved having a daughter from Eryn's birth until the quake took her. He still loved it but it was painful without her in the world. He ruefully smiled at India "Careful now. It'll go right to her head. Are you doing one of those baby shower deals to pass her around? I'm sure all the Yamada's have already pinched and squeezed her all to bits. Yuki was telling me about a pizza night with all of that last time I went for fish and chips."

Brian.Stewart  winces'' i would have spoiled me little lass like she was the princess of a galaxy 'he chuckles and he takes a sip of his beer and looks at it  reflecting in its amberness pensively but glances up to them from time to time beaming at the other peoples happy life

India Tor scoffs. "Do your worst, Grampa." she challenges. "She has relatives and in laws and even Michael's mother stops by to make sure I'm not exhausted. And if Sakura is there too ... " she grins. "I know I am missing out on maternal exhausting nonsense, but I like it. I'm not completely wasted. I can even nurse at two in the morning and half sleep through it." she giggles. She looks at her phone again. "Alright. I've been gone long enough. I'm having baby withdrawal." she admits. "Even if she doesn't miss me I miss her." she defends herself and sets her card out to pay her tab.

Nick Callahan takes India's card and offers it back to her "Tea toteler...I got this. I hate to use mine on one beer anyway. You go kiss that baby for me and I'll come visit soon." He smiles at Brian "Well according to her name she's a something of a galaxy...hopefully not some kinda evil alien that hunts everyone..." He laughs.

Brian.Stewart  looks up jumping a bit out of his spacing out and laughs 'yeah.. galaxy... you know if i had a baby girl.. i was going to name her Leia .. 'he say  softly 'to fisher .'he say raising his glass 'eh sips it finishing it off

India Tor smiles and takes her card back. "I will. I promise. AND come by soon. Please? It's settling in with us all now." she grins. "Oh I like that name. let me stop before I have another one." she teases ad stands, kissing Nick on the cheek. "Take care Gramps. Good to meet you Brian." and she head to the door trying not to walk too fast.

 Brian.Stewart  nods 'pleasure is all mine 'he say as he finishes off his plate and orders his sons'


Nick Callahan grins at the kiss and the word Gramps "Gramps. I like that. See you soon Mama Tor.". He raises the last of his beer and toasts back "To Leia, and all who leave the world with no warning. " He sighs after India "Sometimes the universe does know how to help us get through eh? You take care Brian."

Brian.Stewart  nods as he leans on the table waiting for his food . he nod 'yeah ..it does'he smiles and beams at the older man

Nick Callahan stands up and pays for the tea and the beer and then walks by Brian with a light slap on his shoulder as he passes "No horse meat. Have a good one." and he's off out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment